Meetings will be set up with Stakeholders to address their concerns and/or questions. Amendments will be made to the bills as issues are resolved and concerns are addressed.
House bills will need to pass out of theHealthcare Licenses Activities committee before moving to the floor for a vote.
Senate bills will need to pass out of theLicensed Activities & Pensions committee before moving to the floor for a vote.
Once bills are assigned to the appropriate committees then grassroots effort will be needed to contact those committees to get the bill out of committee so it does not “die”.
Watch for Advocacy Alerts for actions needed.
ICNO is leading the sunset initiative, and are forming workgroups that will review various portions of the current nursing act to determine if changes are necessary to move nursing forward or to offer clarity.
- IACN – Illinois Association of Colleges of Nursing
- National Hispanic Nurses Association -Illinois
- IANA – Illinois Association of Nurse Anesthetists
- IPHNA – Illinois Public Health Nurse Administrators
- ISAPN – Illinois Society for Advanced Practice Nursing
- IOADN – Illinois Organization for Associate Degree Nursing
- IASN – Illinois Association of School Nurses
- ICCB Deans and Directors – Illinois Community College Board
- IONL – Illinois Organization of Nursing Leaders
- PNAI – Philippine Nurses Association of Illinois
- INF – Illinois Nurses Foundation
- IDFPR/Illinois Center for Nursing
- CCNBNA – Chicago Chapter of the National Black Nurses Association
- Leading Age – Nursing Division
- IAOHN – Illinois Association of Occupational Health Nurses
- DDNA of Illinois – Development Disabilities Nurses Association of Illinois
- Illinois Emergency Nurses Association
- GCCHIMSS – Greater Chicagoland Chapter of the Health Information Management and Systems Society – Nursing Division
- Illinois Homecare and Hospice Council
- IANPC – Illinois Ambulatory nurse Practice Consortium – chapter of AAACN
- International Polish Nurses Association
- National Association of Indian Nurses
- Chi Eta Phi
- Illinois League for Nursing
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA) – Illinois Chapter
2017 SUNSET Process
In 2015, ANA-Illinois convened the Illinois Coalition of Nursing Organizations to begin work on the 2017 Sunset. A coalition of 25 nursing organizations worked for two years to update and make more efficient the regulations that address our education and practice.
SUNSET REVIEW – ICNO PROCESS –
- Workgroups are to provide recommended changes with rationale in common language.
- Recommendations will come back to ICNO for review and prioritization.
- ICNO met on August 3rd to vote on recommendations. Each organization received one vote, organizations not present will be given an opportunity to vote on the language electronically within 7 days of the August 3rd meeting.
- August 10th – Summary of voting and amendments were distributed to the organizations for review. Organizations not wishing to be listed as in support of the bill were to notify ANA-Illinois so the list of supporters is accurate.
- The language will be sent to Legislative Reference Bureau to be written as a bill.
- LRB language will be shared with the makers of the recommendations to verify intent is captured.
- January 2017 – bill will be introduced.
- WORKGROUP LEADS
|Leading Age – Nursing Division
|ICCB Deans & Directors
|APN Practice and Education
|Administration and Enforcement
|Center for Nursing
- Illinois Nurse Practice Act
- Model Nurse Practice Act
- 2015 ANA Code of Ethics
- 2015 ANA Scope and Standards of Practice, Social Policy Statement
- APRN Consensus Model
- ANA Determining Scope of Practice for Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs)
- Position papers – ANA